Monday, February 1, 2010

Why...

Tana
Adoption was something that I was always intrigued by and interested in. My inquisitiveness gradually progressed from concern to a restless burden for the plight of children whose circumstances were at the best bleak but sadly often completely hopeless. There are many ways one can care for orphans and those at risk of becoming orphaned: Child sponsorship, becoming an advocate, praying, supporting those who support them… I wholeheartedly pursued these avenues expecting doing so would settle this burden. It wasn’t and so here I am. Each step of the way through this journey God has put people and resources in my path that have overwhelmingly confirmed His leading. While there is still much more unknown than known, I trust Him and know that He is a faithful God. While I am full of indescribable joy and excitement for bringing home our little girl, I am equally full of anticipation to see how God will provide.
Matt
Adopting was something I knew Tana sensed a calling to do for several years already, but it was something I didn’t want anything to do with. I felt that we had three children to care for already and adopting would interfere with us raising them. Also, although I wouldn’t readily admit it, I was concerned how adopting would also interfere with my life. I was comfortable with where we were at in our lives and didn’t want to add anything else. I was also very fearful of all the unknowns that go along with adopting. Over the last year and a half God was working in me and I was willing to start talking with Tana about adopting. I found myself wanting to learn more and know more about adoption and adoptive families. As we started to pursue adoption I started to have more and more compassion for the children in China who were orphaned. As Christ has compassion on me, I am commanded to show compassion to others. With God’s help I can give a child who is poor, needy and wounded; love, support and a chance at life (Psalm 109:21-22). As we are in the midst of the adoption process I am still fearful of all the unknowns but I am certain that God is leading the way and that we are following His leading.


...Welcome House of Pearl S. Buck International?

There are so many agencies out there. Here are a few reasons that confirmed Welcome House of Pearl S. Buck International was for us.

  • History (Founded by Pearl S. Buck to find adoptive families for children China considered to be unadoptable.)
  • Transparency
  • Long standing, strong relationship with China Center of Adoption Affairs
  • Care of orphans through Opportunity House
  • References and reputation
  • Ongoing support after adoption
  • Local
  • Education of pre-adoptive parents

...China?

According to what we have read and heard, the orphans in China have been orphaned for three main reasons. First is China’s one child policy that applies to the majority of Chinese families. Couples who have more than one child face steep fines. The second is a couple’s preference for a boy. Perhaps we should use the term need rather than preference. In traditional Chinese culture the wife becomes part of her husband’s family. Her parents will not have the security of knowing they will be cared for during their senior years that a boy will bring. This combined with the fact that a boy will also carry on the family name results in baby girls being orphaned simply because of their gender. The third reason again has to do with traditional Chinese culture. If a child is born with a physical defect or health condition, they are considered unlucky and will be orphaned. Again, the parents must rely on their child to care for them in their senior years and a special needs child, regardless of gender, makes it difficult for the parents to be assured of this care. Due to all of this there are many orphans in China who do not have a chance of being adopted within China.

Below are some additional confirmations we experienced.

  • In adopting through China we could also fairly easily adopt a child who would be younger than Natalie. Our new child needs stability as do our other three. Interfering with the birth order would throw another adjustment into a time that is already full of transitions.
  • There is a large amount of Chinese cultural support in this area.
  • It’s a predictable trip to pick her up with a predictable timeline. That’s big for a thoroughly American Matt and a Tana who will fiercely miss her three at home.
  • Timothy “happens” to have a classmate who was adopted from China two years ago. He shares about her sharing about what her life was like in China. She has been a significant source of education and enthusiasm as he anticipates the arrival of his little sister.

...Waiting Child?

The Waiting Child program was established by the China Center of Adoption Affairs in order to find families for children with special needs. As we looked into the health issues we could encounter in adopting any child from China, we had to identify what we thought would and would not be manageable in our family and with the resources in our area. The needs we were open to placed us within the Waiting Child program. The below video was done by Love Without Boundaries and reinforces giving the Waiting Child program, and thus the children in it, a deeper look.


No comments:

Our goals in this blog are two-fold. We want to keep friends and family informed and updated but we also pray that you would be moved to do your part in making the invisible God visible to those who are orphaned or at risk of becoming orphaned. There are so many ways to do something. God’s heart is for the orphan (James 1:27) and if you ask Him for direction in this He will answer.

For those of you sensing to support us, here is how you can do so as of now.

  • PRAISE for her life and for the opportunity we have to be her family.
  • Prayers for guidance in preparing for her to join our family; protection and care for her and direction for the hands caring for her; expedited Travel Approval - much sooner than we woudld anticipate; and leading as we make plans for our 3 other childrne while we are in China.
  • Financial assistance for the costs associated with her adoption (The total will be around $32,000). While it is humbling to include this we sensed that we should. We know that helping financially is a gift some have been given, and we do not have the right to let our pride get in the way of those of you who are called to serve in this way.