Sunday, October 3, 2010

And Another Gift

Today was a free day which means nothing was planned for us.  Tomorrow is a free day too.  We have a number of free days since we have to stay in Nanning 7 extra days due to China's National Day holiday from October 1-7 (it was either this or wait until the end of November, beginning of December to travel).  We are shopping around for a stroller for Anna since she greatly prefers that over the front pack.  We are renting one from the hotel right now but feel like we need one for Guangzhou and especially at the airports.  After breakfast we walked to the Wal Mart shopping center and then explored more of Nanning on the way back.  When we were at the intersection opposite the hotel I took a few minutes to shoot some video of the traffic because that is what I thought I was going to blog about today.  While we were standing there a man walked past us and stared.  Nothing unusual but then he immediately turned around and was really looking at and talking to Anna.  There was something about his face that was different.  It was not the hard, stern stare that we were accustomed to.  He started talking to us and we noticed that he was missing his right forearm and his left hand was clefted.  He said he was looking for a couple from England who had adopted a child and were staying at the Magestic (the hotel we are staying at).  He said the foster mother wanted a picture of the child and her family but the orphanage did not give her a picture.  He said she missed the child very much and called him insisting he locate the family and get a picture for her.  I assumed he was talking about a couple and their child that left soon after we arrived.  I wanted his information though because that morning over breakfast Matt and I had a conversation about how we could go about sending updated pictures of Anna to her foster mother and who we should and shouldn't ask about doing so.  Even though I think this gentleman was more interested in me passing on his info to the couple he was looking for, he gave me his card and said he was with Grace & Hope for Children.  He then said the husband's name was Matthew Wade.  Due to our paranoia (a future post) we did pause before admitting that was Matt.  He walked back to the hotel with us and we had conversations and were allowed observations that were nothing short than a gift from God.  God has given us SO much in this process and with Anna and now this.  It is completely humbling that He would continue to give more than we could ask or imagine.
The past few days I have been wrestling with the "rightness" of taking Anna away from a foster mom that loved her, a foster family that was home to her and out of her birth country.  I think I'm looking for a framework to operate from so that I can pass on her story to her with as much truth and compassion as possible.  Anyway, I asked Mary what Anna's future would look like if she would stay in China.  If her palate would be repaired, if she would be taught how to speak, if she would go to school, if she would be able to get a good job...  Mary said "oh yes" to all of them.  She even went onto say that if someone is disabled the government provides them with an "easy" job.  None of this aligns with what I have heard prior to coming here but I think Mary was sharing with me what she was told and truly believes.  Today I saw and heard the other side. 
While we were standing outside our hotel with this gentleman many people were coming and going.  We had the opportunity to see their eyes on him and their expressions.  When asked to take a picture of all of us, we saw a woman scared to take the camera from his hand and tell a boy next to her to do it and take the picture.  We heard what it is like to look for a job in China when it is considered that you have a disability.  We watched this man and he not one bit disabled!  We told him his English was very good and he shyly thanked us and told us that he learned on his own.  He did not go to University because he grew up in the orphanage.  He told us of him and his wife adopting a child with a similar condition to his and how upset his wife's parents and his brothers and sister were that they had done so because they are only allowed one child (due to China's one child policy).  
He told us that Grace & Hope for Children had sponsored Anna's lip repair AND foster care.  (When meeting Anna we asked who paid for her lip repair and were told that China had done so.)  He said it is important for cleft children to have their lips repaired before they go into foster care because the foster mother can be scared by the appearance of the clefted lip.  He said that due to the foster mother's age, Anna was most likely her last foster child.  He said that the foster mother's grandson would tease Anna and make her cry.  We gave a "Thank You" note and pictures from one of her photo books to pass onto her (although he said it will be difficult to get them to her - electronic is much easier).  He took lots of pictures including some with Anna playing with the gifts that her foster mom gave to her.  He seemed annoyed over her bald and thin spots and said that the foster mothers think that if they hold the babies too much they will get spoiled so they let them in their cribs for too long.  He said he tells them different but they don't always listen.  We affirmed that we thought Anna was very well cared for and loved.  
We are so incredibly grateful for this charity and those who support it!  Grace & Hope for Children.  www.grace-hope.org  The man we met today is Paul Huang. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that is absolutely amazing! Totally orchestrated by God, I'm sure!!! I can't wait to hear your stories in greater detail when you get home!
I saw your kids at church today and asked Natalie about seeing you guys on skype! It seems like they are doing well!
always in our prayers,
Rhonda

Anonymous said...

God is so good!!! I read your blog this morning thinking of how God is so faithful to us and how He provides reassurances for us over and over again that we are within His will and following His plan for us. I am SO happy for you guys and for the glimpses you have been given of God's hand at work in your lives and in Anna's!!
Kim

Anonymous said...

I was unable to leave a comment on this the other day...The period of "wrestling" is normal in the adoption journey. How could it not be, somewhere someone is grieving the loss of a child while we are rejoicing...it is hard to walk this part of the journey...
I am also amazed at the story that you shared! Just so neat...praying for you and Anna's foster mom. Tell Matt one more day until the Phillies play...oh wait, I guess it will be 5:00am for you....yuck! Love, Amy

Our goals in this blog are two-fold. We want to keep friends and family informed and updated but we also pray that you would be moved to do your part in making the invisible God visible to those who are orphaned or at risk of becoming orphaned. There are so many ways to do something. God’s heart is for the orphan (James 1:27) and if you ask Him for direction in this He will answer.

For those of you sensing to support us, here is how you can do so as of now.

  • PRAISE for her life and for the opportunity we have to be her family.
  • Prayers for guidance in preparing for her to join our family; protection and care for her and direction for the hands caring for her; expedited Travel Approval - much sooner than we woudld anticipate; and leading as we make plans for our 3 other childrne while we are in China.
  • Financial assistance for the costs associated with her adoption (The total will be around $32,000). While it is humbling to include this we sensed that we should. We know that helping financially is a gift some have been given, and we do not have the right to let our pride get in the way of those of you who are called to serve in this way.